Sample DEI Policy
The sample policy below was drawn from the sample policy at BoardEffect. It is a US site, however the policy is just as applicable here. There were a couple of items I changed and then I ran it through ChatGPT for review and simplification. On the suggestion of ChatGPT, a glossary explaining the key terms has also been added. This is a good idea as it defines the terms used in the policy.
Glossary of Key Terms:
Before we outline our commitments, let’s define some important terms:
- Diversity refers to the presence of differences within a given setting. This can include differences in gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, identity, disability, education, neurodivergence, and other aspects of identity.
- Equity means ensuring everyone has access to the same opportunities. Equity recognizes that advantages and barriers exist, and that as a result, we don’t all start from the same place. Equity is a process that begins by acknowledging this unequal starting place and makes a commitment to correct and address the imbalance.
- Inclusion is the practice of creating environments in which any individual or group can be and feel welcomed, respected, supported, and valued. An inclusive and welcoming climate embraces differences and offers respect in words and actions for all people.
- Cultural Competency is the ability of individuals and organizations to work or respond effectively across cultures in a way that acknowledges and respects the culture of the person or organization being served.
(Our Organization) believes in a workplace and community where everyone is welcomed and appreciated for who they are. This includes their gender, age, race, where they come from, who they love, their abilities, education level, and how they think. We want every person involved with our organization, from our board to our volunteers, to feel respected and have the same chances to grow and succeed.
We promise to treat everyone fairly and give equal opportunities in jobs and volunteering. We will make sure that every voice is heard and valued for the unique perspectives they bring.
We are dedicated to showing what it means to be diverse, inclusive, and fair and to treat everyone the same way.
Our board has come up with ways to make sure we always think about diversity, fairness, and including everyone when we make decisions. These ways include:
- We will always think about how diversity and fairness can help us do better in our mission.
- We want to find and fix any unfair parts of our rules, activities, and services.
- We will keep track of how we are doing in making our place more diverse and fair and share the updates.
- We will look at our own thoughts that might be getting in the way of our commitment to diversity.
- We will fight for changes that make our work and our community more fair and in line with our policy.
- We will rethink what it means to be a good leader in our organization.
- We will be open about how we include diversity in everything we do.
- We will spend time and money to bring more diversity to our board and leaders.
- We will lead with kindness and respect and ask our team to do the same.
(Our Organization) will take these steps to make sure our work supports diversity, inclusion, and fairness:
- We will create new ways to learn and clear rules to make sure our organization understands and respects different cultures.
- We will find or do research on fairness so we can get better at being diverse and inclusive.
- We will make changes to increase diversity and fairness in our leaders when needed.
- We will work with other groups that also care about diversity and fairness to find help for those who don’t have as many opportunities.
- We will make resources that show we are serious about diversity and fairness.
- We will create a process to be aware of and deal with any unfair biases when we hire or review our team.
- We will train our people to teach our staff, participants, and volunteers about fair practices.
- We will tell everyone what the pay range is for any job we advertise.
- We will support laws and policies that help diversity and fairness, and we will speak out against rules and systems that are unfair or oppressive.